In Southern California, the norm is that divemasters stay onboard. You can hire a semi-private tour guide through your online booking.
We strongly recommend hiring a tour guide if:
- You're brand new to diving or salt-water diving
- You're under 18 and don't have a buddy
- You don't like to be buddied up with random people (if coming solo)
We advise hiring a tour guide if:
- You've never dove in kelp forest before
- You're not confident in your navigation skills
- You want a really good 'inside scoop' of the area you're diving
We recommend skipping the tour guide hire if:
- You're a fairly experienced diver
- You're going to the Coronado Islands (very easy navigation)
- You are comfortable with your navigation skills
If you decide not to hire one, we can easily find you a qualified buddy on board to dive with. We never had an issue buddying people up.